14 Little Known Facts About Whitney
2. Whitney Met Bobby Brown At The Soul Train Music Awards
In 1989, Whitney met Bobby Brown backstage and they immediately hit it off. At the time, she was dating Eddie Murphy.
3. She Sang Background For Chaka
At the age of 15, she sang background vocals on Chaka Khan’s hit single “I’m Every Woman”
4. She Also Sang Back-up On Albums By Lou Rawls And Jermaine Jackson.
5. Michael Jackson Wanted Whitney To Sing On “Just Can’t Stop Loving You”
In 1987, Michael Jackson wanted Whitney Houston to record “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” with him. Whitney told him “no thank you” though.
6. She Was On A Soap Opera
Houston sang “Nobody Loves Me Like You Do” and “If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful” with Jermaine Jackson on “As the World Turns” in 1984.
7. Whitney Turned Down Role On Cosby Show
Houston was this close to being “Sondra Huxtable” on the “Cosby Show” but she turned the role down because she wanted to be a singer. That would have been interesting to see Whitney as one of the Cosby Kids.
8. Whitney Dreamed Of Being Retired In 2012
Diane Sawyer of ABC News interviewed Houston in 2002. When asked about her future in 10 years, Houston said she saw herself, “Retired. Sitting, looking at my daughter grow up, become a great woman of God, and grandchildren.”
9. She Wanted To Be A Teacher
In 1993, Whitney told Rolling Stone magazine that she wanted to be a teacher. ”I wanted to be a teacher. I love children, so I wanted to deal with children. Then I wanted to be a veterinarian.”
10. Robert DeNiro had a major crush on Whitney in the late ’80s.
“She’s the sexiest woman I have ever seen. She is gorgeous. I want her by my side,” he once said.
11. She Used To Be A Model.
She was a fashion model in the early ’80s, and one of the first African American women to cover Seventeen magazine.
12. She Made Her National Televised Debut On The Merv Griffin Show Alongside Arista’s Head Clive Davis.
14. She Also Starred In TV Commercials.
Dr. Pepper, Coca-Cola, Sanyo and AT&T.
On a side note, word on the Old school curb is that the very first Whitney Houston live album will be released in November 2014. So be sure to mark your calender for that one and let’s all honor our beloved Whitney Houston’s legacy.
Join us on Facebook for the most engaging discussions from the Old School! Old School News With A New Point Of View!