Finally, Chaka Reveals WHOLE TRUTH About How & WHY She’s Now In REHAB
After we reported yesterday that Chaka Khan had just entered drug rehab for her second time in two years, Chaka has now confirmed that report with her public statement she’s released from the rehab facility she’s currently staying at:
Via Associated Press: Chaka Khan and her sister have entered a drug rehabilitation program to battle their addictions to prescription drugs, and Khan says the death of her good friend Prince helped hasten her decision to get help. In a statement released to The Associated Press Sunday, the 63-year-old Grammy-winning singer said she has been battling an addiction to the same medication that led to Prince’s death. Prince was found dead at his Minnesota home April 21. An autopsy found he died of an overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller.
“Unfortunately, I will miss concert appearances over the summer,” she said. “However, it’s vital that I put my health and well-being first. I know that I am disappointing some of my fans, but I also know they would want me to recover and be well and healthy.”
A rep for Khan added that she will be able to resume recording in mid-July and will be back on tour on Aug. 1. Khan has entered an intensive rehabilitation and aftercare program with sister, Yvonne Stevens, also known as Taka Boom. Khan said the pair “agreed we would take this journey together and support each other through the recovery.”
We’re so happy that Chaka and her sister, Taka Boom, are taking steps to be drug free. Overcoming addiction isn’t easy, but their willingness to keep fighting, no matter how long it takes, has definitely earned our respect. The fact that Chaka is addicted to the very same pain killer that caused Prince’s death is an extremely scary…we could have possibly been THIS close to losing yet another soul icon and didn’t even know it! Stay strong Chaka and Taka…you got this!
Join us on Facebook for the most engaging discussions from the Old School! Old School News With A New Point Of View!