“School Daze” Star Just Landed A New Gig, See What He’s Doing Now
ILOSM fam’ you remember ‘Julian/Dean Big Brother Almighty’ from School Daze right? Of course you do, because really, how could you forget him? He was the star of the movie, along with his rival, ‘Dap,’ played by Laurence Fishburne.
em>Mo’ Better Blues, Malcolm X, and more recently in several series such as the Netflix hits, The Get Down, Dear White People and many more films and TV shows.
His Newest Role
Now, Giancarlo (59) just landed a new gig that is kinda like a big deal in the entertainment world. He and Whoopi Goldberg have been added to the cast of the upcoming comedy film, Shiver, which is based on a top selling novel of the same name and written by Chris Belden. If you’re like us, here at ILOSM, you’ve probably never heard of the movie, nor the book, so here’s a quick breakdown:
Via Deadline: Shriver, which is based on the novel of the same name written by Chris Belden, is the story of a loner mistaken for a renowned but reclusive author. He suddenly finds himself the center of attention at a writer’s conference celebrating the 20th anniversary of the book written by the real author. Shriver takes on the mistaken identity while sparking a romance with the English professor who runs the conference and is about to pull it all off when the real Shriver appears. Project is currently in pre-production and scheduled to shoot later this year.
Fun Facts About Giancarlo Esposito
Since we’re on the topic of Giancarlo, we thought we’d share a few interesting fun facts about the actor who regardless of any new gigs he lands, will always and forever be ‘Dean Big Brother Almighty’ to many of us, Old Schoolers:
1. In case his name has you wondering what his nationality is, here’s the answer. He’s biracial and his name is Italian. His Pops is Italian and his mother is African American.
2. He speaks fluent Italian.
3. His mother was a wonderful opera singer, who also performed at the same nightclub gig alongside Josephine Baker in Copenhagen, Denmark. His father was a stagehand and carpenter.
4. He was born in Copenhagen, Denmark (a Scandinavian country in Europe), but moved with his family to Manhattan, NY when he was six.
5. He has four daughters with his ex-wife.
6. He also has a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles for his many years of hard work in the acting game.
And there ya’ have it ILOSM fam’…we always love seeing Old School entertainers still being able to take care of their families by doing what they love. Giancarlo Esposito is a great example of that. Keep doing your thing Esposito!