Family Gives New Concerning Update On John Singleton’s Health Days After His Stroke
As fans and loved ones continue to send prayers up for John Singleton, his family has given new details on his current condition, which are raising cause for greater concern and seem to somewhat conflict with their prior updates. A few days ago, we reported that the legendary director had suffered a stroke and was hospitalized as a result.
The Latest Update From Singleton’s Family:
April 20, 2019: John’s family tells TMZ the famed director suffered a stroke Wednesday while at the hospital. He’s currently in the ICU and under great medical care. The family adds, “We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues.”
Why Family’s Latest Update May Raise Red Flags
In their prior update, John’s family said the doctors described his stroke as “mild.” They’d also said he was ‘doing rehab’ and that docs were ‘performing tests on him’ at that time. That led the public to believe everything was all good with Singleton’s health and that he was simply recouping.
Though we sincerely hope and pray that is still the case, we cannot ignore the family’s revelation about him being placed in ICU, which raises red flags about the prior “mild” stroke statement. Here’s why:
Via MDEdge: “Most strokes are probably never seen in the ICU, and they are more optimally managed in stroke units,” said [Daryl R. Gress, MD], Associate Professor of Neurology and Director of Neurocritical Care at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. “In critical care, we are really talking about individuals with either severe deficits and high NIH [National Institutes of Health] Stroke Scale scores or those in which mental status is compromised. We also see those postrevascularization.”
A decline in mental status is the most common reason that patients with stroke are admitted into the ICU, along with the need for intubation, largely for airway protection, according to Dr. Gress. “By the time that one needs to intubate, you are dealing with a very serious problem,” he said.
The Prior Conflicting Updates On Singleton’s Health
It was initially reported that the 51 year old director was rushed to the hospital on Saturday (4/20/2019) morning, after having a stroke. However, family members later confirmed that Singleton actually checked himself into a hospital earlier that week, after experiencing weakness in his leg. At the time, the family believed that his stroke may have been triggered from a plane flight he’d recently taken from Costa Rica back to the states.
Then came the next update which further clarified the aforementioned update. It was previously believed that Singleton suffered the stroke prior to driving himself to the hospital, which had many questioning how he would have been able to do that.
Thankfully, Singleton’s family later cleared up the confusion, by revealing that John went to the hospital for the weakness in his leg, but did not have the stroke until AFTER he was at the hospital.
The family has not revealed why Singleton was and/or is in ICU, but let’s continue to send uplifting energy and prayers up for John Singleton at this time.